Google
 

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Difference Between a Store you Enjoy and a Store you Shop

There are many things I've learned about retail over the last 12 years, but the most important is designing a store that is easy to shop, appealing to ones senses and relaxed.

I have a few stores that I love to browse because I appreciate the beauty of the design, but I find myself getting frustrated because I can never find anything to buy.  Take this design layout below:
I'm sorry, I know many expensive boutiques in LA look like this, but to me it's saying "You are all one size and you will purchase what we tell you to, if we decide you are good enough to shop here".  Think about the scene in Pretty Woman when she walks into the snooty store and they won't help her because she doesn't have the "look".

On the other hand, this store nails it:
It's inviting, beautiful and says "We don't take ourselves so seriously, have fun, we're here to help"

A store should have a clear "pathway" that leads you through it.  It should also be well organized.  When I want a candle, I don't want to have to look through the entire store to find a scent I like.  I want them all to be in a general location.

Anthropology has mastered this art as has The Scented Garden.  Below is a perfect example of a well balanced, inviting display at both of those stores:

So, the next time you are shopping and feel a bit frustrated, it's not you, it's the store that is causing it.  And the next time you walk into a beautiful, well designed inviting store, be sure to tell the owner or manager what a good job they've done!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good attractive display can can increase your product sales. good store display makes a good impression on your customers.
display hooks