Google
 

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

2009 Trends


As I prepare to attend the Dallas Gift Show this week I will be focusing on how this current economy will impact retail trends. This is the hard part about retail. I know my capabilities and strengths when it comes to decorating, visual merchandising and customer service, but none of these qualities will do me any good if I don't focus on how the economy will effect what and how people buy and to do this I must anticipate how people will be living their lives.

My guess (and really, isn't that all any of us can do at this time?) is that people will be staying home more and entertaining at home more too. Therefore, I believe there will be a huge market in home goods, not necessarily big ticket items, but updating with home accessories that work with their existing large pieces. I also think outdoor living will see an increase, due to the fact that people will not be dining out in large groups, but staying in and having more casual get together.

The two buzz words that I keep hearing are "simplify" and getting back to the "basics" in life. The success of our bath and body lines have shown that people are learning to relax and enjoy the simple things in life such as taking a long bath or experiencing a French soap in the shower, even though grocery store soaps will accomplish the same, well, as far as getting you clean, not so much for moisturizing. Splurging on the little things that will make a big impact. Even the hot new colors are calming, simple and basic. Look for shades of pink, from pale blush to coral for both clothing and home. Beige, from metallic champagne to soft taupe will also be in the line up.

The point is, we don't stop living and we don't stop indulging in our wants and needs, we just cut back or simplify them to accommodate the changing ways of our world. I'm looking forward to this buying trip more then normally because I'm excited to see if the manufactures feel the same as I do and hopefully, that they will provide us, the retail sector, with lot's of new and fresh merchandise that will fulfill our customers needs. I'll be sure to report back and let you know as well and give you a sneak peak at the lines I've purchased for the upcoming season.

In the meantime, the new Tea Forte Collection will be arriving soon and, get this, it's all about tea infused cocktails! Goodbye afternoon tea, hello cosmopolitans, moijos and martinis!

No comments: